El Parte Numero Tres is here you guys. I have been having so much fun writing this series. It’s been a good exercise for me. In case this is your first time here, you can view the Intro here and Part 2 on domain names and hosting here. This series is designed to share with you the tools I use every time I sit down at the computer to design websites. Sometimes it also gives you a peak into how my brain works.
Today, I am talking all about Platforms. If you are just starting out, it is critically important that you select the right platform for your blog and business. Framework and themes (which are up next) aren’t as important because those are easily changeable. And, don’t get me wrong, platforms are changeable to, we migrate people every month, but they are so much more of a pain in the ass to switch out. So do yourself a solid and pick the right one.
Choosing the Right Platform
Here at Modern Biz Chicks, we specialize in building functional, gorgeous self-hosted WordPress websites. That’s all we use. WordPress is an open source (free) content management systems that is found on over 50% of all websites today. However, WordPress is not your only option when starting your blog. Here are some other names that might sound familiar along with a little commentary by yours truly.
- Wix. Don’t do it. Click Here for a great explanation why.
- Weebly. Nope. Not a good one either. The same issues that arise from using a Wix site come with Weebly too.
- Blogger. Many peeps start on blogger and then end up migrating over to WordPress because Blogger simply doesn’t have the functionality they need as their blog or business starts to grow. Here’s an excellent article detailing the biggest differences between Blogger and WordPress.
- WordPress.com. I cannot tell you how many peeps complete their due diligence and correctly decide that WordPress is for them and then happily jaunt over to WordPress.com to start there blog-slash-business only to discover later that there are not ONE but TWO different WordPress’ and they picked the wrong one. Click here to check out the biggest differences and why you should pick WordPress.org
- Squarespace. Okay, I know I’ve been a bit of a negative nancy about the other platforms. It might surprise that I’m not that way with Squarespace. I’m rather ambivalent about it. Would I ever personally use it? Nope, not a chance. However, I do see the value it offers to a certain type of blogger/business owner. There are a couple of good articles written on both sides of the issues. Here, you’ll see reasons why Squarespace really works for one blogger. If you Click here, click here you’ll see a perspective on why WordPress will always reign supreme. If you absolutely, positively do not want to go the self-hosted WordPress route, then go with Squarespace.
So those are all the platforms you shouldn’t be using, how ’bout we talk about the platform you should use: WordPress.org.
Oh, WordPress, how I love thee, let me count the ways.
Why do I have a love affair with WordPress? It’s simple, really.
Because I can do absolutely anything with it that I could possibly dream up.
Membership Site? Check.
Landing Page? Check.
Sales Page? Check.
Any crazy design idea I come up with? Check.
Every single one of the other platforms I mentioned above come with some sort of limitations in regard to functionality. WordPress has it all.
Are you working on setting up your WordPress website? Click here to join the One Hour Blog. This free training will show you exactly how to set up your blog in one hour flat and some awesome tools will given available for you to use COMPLETELY FREE. This training will be at the end of July so sign up now and don’t miss any announcements.